Skip to main content

Falling Down The Rabbit Hole

Alice in Wonderland- Disney 1951


"Books are your ticket out of this quarantine and into the trip of your life."-Marilyn Sori 

When I first encountered this book by Lewis Carroll, I was mesmerized by its pure imagination.  I wondered to myself if it were even possible to have that sort of adventure in real life.  I have always been a curious person and have always questioned whether it were possible to fall down a portal into an enchanted realm where I could speak to flowers and animals.  Ahhh such dreaming is worth it, even for just a little.  I love fantasy books not only because they transport me out of this sometimes dull existence but because of the feeling of awe I get from them.  Yesterday, April 23rd was "World Book Day".  I personally think everyday should be an official book day as books should never go out of fashion.  We have so many distractions in our daily life with smartphones, tablets, laptops, and computers that we don't have time to just read a book and take the trip out of our routine world.  Technology for me is a double edged sword.  It is necessary but I don't think we should depend on it so much especially for leisure and pass time.  I think there are more constructive ways to spend your free time such as reading books, painting, or creating something uniquely yours.  

I highly suggest reading "Alice´s Adventures in Wonderland" by Lewis Carroll and the sequel to this is "Through the Looking-Glass." It will not disappoint and you will absolutely love it.  It's much better than any of the  movies you have seen and it is written in such a way that you want to read more and more.



Fun Facts about Lewis Carroll


Who was Lewis Caroll?

Lewis Carroll´s real name was Lutwidge Dodgson (a lot of famous people change their names when they become well known.)  He was born January 27, 1832 in Daresbury, United Kingdom and died January 14, 1898 in Guildford, United Kingdom. He was not only a writer but an inventor, philosopher, mathematician, poet, and photographer.  He kept really busy.

Writing in the dark...

Lewis Carroll would usually get most of his brilliant ideas at night.  So he invented a system of writing called the nyctograph. In the 1800´s lighting a lamp was not as easy as switching on a light bulb. So he invented a system using dots and strokes so he wouldn't forget his ideas for his books.
Check out this link so you can see how the nyctograph was used.

Stuttering words

Lewis Carroll suffered from stutter.  Stuttering is a speech disorder where people either repeat the words they've said or prolong the words,syllables or phrases making it hard for them to pronounce the words in one go.  Ironically, when speaking with children he wouldn't stutter.  I think adults made him nervous and children made him feel safer.

He was Dodo in Alice in Wonderland

The characters in the books were based on real people in his surroundings.  Alice was a real person called Alice Liddel and he was fascinated by her. The Liddel family was his prime inspiration for all the characters in the book.  He based Dodo the bird as himself because when he'd try to say his name Dodgeson he'd stutter and say Dodo instead.

A famous photographer for his time

He created over 3,000 photographic images in his time including, landscapes, close friends, still life forms, and even famous people in the era such as Alfred, Lord Tennyson a very popular poet.

So now that you know a bit about his life and story why don't you pick up the book and read it and tell me all about it.  I'm sure it will be one of your favorites from here onwards.


 Here's a video on one of my top student's opinion on this book! 




Comments

  1. Oh what a coincidence, this is one of my favourite stories: "Alice in Wonderland". I even posted in my Virtual School Page a video recomending the book. I would like to share it with you and anyone who sees this post.
    https://youtu.be/4xZVLE4GsnY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Thank you Carol!! It's such an amazing book! I will take a look!! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Special Thanks.

To My Dearest Students: I would like to give a special thanks to all the students who have actively participated in my blog.  I am so proud of you, and your efforts, especially-- in this moment in time.  It makes me happy to know that you have enjoyed my posts, as much as I have enjoyed making them for you.  I am throughly grateful to have been part of your learning experience, and to have brought you a bit of joy during these troubled times.  I hope to continue to see your participation throughout my future blog posts from here onwards.  I will be sporadically writing throughout the summer months, so stay tuned for more fun learning experiences.   I love you and hopefully, I will see you back in October when classes start again.  Have a Safe and Happy Summer Everyone!  Many kisses and hugs,  Marilyn  Xoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxox A Special Thanks to: Mariana   Celia Jacobo Belen Sabela   Enma I wo

Painting with Monet

Art and all its forms describe the inner workings of a person´s mind.  I find different types of art pieces similiar to the minds that paint them.  Everyone is completely unique and so is their particular art form.  You can study the techniques of all the artistic masters but you will have your own touch that will distinguish you among the rest.  No two people are alike and no two artist are either.  In my opinion, each person is gifted with a type of art talent that makes them undeniably different among all others.   A lot of people have told me that they don't see themselves as creative or artistic in any way. I believe we are all creatures of a creative nature by birth.   Some may think that they don't possess artistic abilities but all people do in some way or other.  Art is not limited to drawing or paintings--it can be the art of cooking, dancing, or just walking.  If you are alive you are a walking piece of art and that in itself is beautiful.   Everything in

Beyond the stars and sky...

Did you know that there was a Super Full Moon in Scorpio on Thursday.  It was a brilliant sight to see.  A super full moon is no ordinary moon.  It is a special moon that because of its proximity to the Earth it appears larger than usual.  This last super full moon in May is also called the Flower Moon.  This is because it coincides with the beginning of spring when the flowers begin to bloom. It was really amazing. The sky was so mysterious and the moon was really bright.   Sometimes when you look at the dark sky, you can´t help but feel wonder.  We are so small and that vast dark sky is endless.  We are just a speck of stardust in this infinite existence that extends and extends without measure.  The night sky has always been a comfort and a mystery.  I sometimes think about different planets and life in different places, way beyond the world we know. Sometimes we think we are the center of the universe but in reality, I think we are just a small chunk in a world so infinite tha