Skip to main content

Beyond the stars and sky...


Did you know that there was a Super Full Moon in Scorpio on Thursday.  It was a brilliant sight to see.  A super full moon is no ordinary moon.  It is a special moon that because of its proximity to the Earth it appears larger than usual.  This last super full moon in May is also called the Flower Moon.  This is because it coincides with the beginning of spring when the flowers begin to bloom. It was really amazing.The sky was so mysterious and the moon was really bright.  

Sometimes when you look at the dark sky, you can´t help but feel wonder.  We are so small and that vast dark sky is endless.  We are just a speck of stardust in this infinite existence that extends and extends without measure.  The night sky has always been a comfort and a mystery.  I sometimes think about different planets and life in different places, way beyond the world we know. Sometimes we think we are the center of the universe but in reality, I think we are just a small chunk in a world so infinite that our mind cannot fathom to understand.   

Surrounded by so much mystery in that dark sky speckled by starlight lies the moon and planets and so much more.  An infinite universe we know so little about; yet it's so close that all we need to do is look out the window at night.  If you´ve never seen a meteor shower or a shooting star you´ve missed out on a lot.  There is nothing more magical and breath-taking than to see a spark fly across the dark sky with infinite wishes to be granted.  I remember that the first time I saw a meteor shower was when I came to Galicia for the first time.  They called it "Las Lagrimas de San Lorenzo" otherwise known as "the tears of Saint Lawrence" or "Perseids." I literally cried of emotion! As you may or may not know, I am an emotional person and I had never seen such beauty in my life.  Coming, from a concrete jungle called New York City, you´re lucky enough to see a star or the moon among so many buildings and lights.  It was one of my treasured moments in this life and in this country and every chance I get, I go out and stargaze because it connects me to nature and the mysteries of life.


Kelly A. Roman Images
Fun Facts about the Moon
  • 1) The Moon measures 3,476km in diameter – that’s about a quarter of the size of Earth.
  • 2) The moon has huge craters and flat planes called ‘seas’ made of hardened lava. That´s why when you look up you think you can see a face.
  • 3) The Moon is Earth’s only natural satellite – a celestial body that orbits a planet. Its orbit around our planet is called an ellipse.
  • 4) It takes 27.3 days for the Moon to travel all the way around the Earth and complete its orbit.
  • 5) Although the Moon shines bright in the night sky, it doesn’t produce its own light. We see the Moon because it reflects light from the Sun.
  • 6) Ever noticed how the Moon appears to change shape each night? That’s because as the Moon orbits the Earth, the Sun lights up different parts of its surface – so it’s just our view of the Moon that’s changing, not the Moon itself. 
  • 7) As the Moon travels, it rotates on its own axis, just like our planet. It takes roughly the same amount of time for the Moon to make a full rotation as it does for it to complete its orbit. This means we only ever see around 60% of the Moon’s surface from Earth! The part that faces Earth is known as the ‘near side’ and the other, the ‘far side’.
  • 8) The temperature on the Moon varies from super hot to super cold! When the Sun hits its surface, temperatures can reach a scorching 127°C. But when the Sun ‘goes down’, temperatures can plummet to around -153°CBrr
  • 9) Like Earth, the Moon has gravity (the force that pulls things towards the ground). But the Moon’s gravity is weaker, only one sixth of the Earth’s gravity, in fact. That means you’d weigh much less if  you were to stand on the Moon!
  • 10) Scientists aren’t entirely sure how the Moon formed. A popular theory is that a Mars-sized rock, named Theia, crashed into Earth around 4.5 billion years ago. The debris from the collision clumped together to make what is now… Our Moon!
Discover Magazine

Did you know that the planets make music?  The first time I discovered this it blew my mind.  The music is so indescribable and out of this world.  Which planet is your favorite?  My favorite planetary songs are by Amalthea Jupiter´s moon and Pluto. The scariest for me was Saturn.





This is an example:

























Comments

  1. Every night we go outside and look at the sky, you are definitely right it is such a relaxing experience. We can see so many stars here at night, i will post a photo tonight ⭐

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful! Enjoy the endless beauty and mystery that is the night sky. We are so small in such immense and endless beauty.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Special Thanks.

To My Dearest Students: I would like to give a special thanks to all the students who have actively participated in my blog.  I am so proud of you, and your efforts, especially-- in this moment in time.  It makes me happy to know that you have enjoyed my posts, as much as I have enjoyed making them for you.  I am throughly grateful to have been part of your learning experience, and to have brought you a bit of joy during these troubled times.  I hope to continue to see your participation throughout my future blog posts from here onwards.  I will be sporadically writing throughout the summer months, so stay tuned for more fun learning experiences.   I love you and hopefully, I will see you back in October when classes start again.  Have a Safe and Happy Summer Everyone!  Many kisses and hugs,  Marilyn  Xoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxox A Special Thanks to: Mariana   Celia Jacobo Belen Sabela   Enma I wo

Painting with Monet

Art and all its forms describe the inner workings of a person´s mind.  I find different types of art pieces similiar to the minds that paint them.  Everyone is completely unique and so is their particular art form.  You can study the techniques of all the artistic masters but you will have your own touch that will distinguish you among the rest.  No two people are alike and no two artist are either.  In my opinion, each person is gifted with a type of art talent that makes them undeniably different among all others.   A lot of people have told me that they don't see themselves as creative or artistic in any way. I believe we are all creatures of a creative nature by birth.   Some may think that they don't possess artistic abilities but all people do in some way or other.  Art is not limited to drawing or paintings--it can be the art of cooking, dancing, or just walking.  If you are alive you are a walking piece of art and that in itself is beautiful.   Everything in